Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Voluntary Frostbite

Today we filed a bunch of older case evidence in the walk-in freezer. And when I say a bunch, I mean a whole bunch. Case files are numbered by year and filed chronologically. There are roughly close to a bajillion already in the freezer. Roughly.

It takes a few minutes to find the right location for some of these items to be filed, and since I'm really SUPER great with numbers (note the sarcasm), it takes me a little longer. I gotta double check it so it gets into its proper home. So, we were in there a while. (And by we, I mean me and my boss because we're still the only people in trace right now.)

So…picture me standing in a huge freezer, looking at numbers while my mind slows down because of the cold. And then my fingers stop working because latex gloves offer no protection from arctic, frigid temperatures. Then, eventually, the only thing the fingers can feel is pain.

I had to take two breaks to warm up and then get back at it. You know, just a few minutes to thaw out before subjecting my poor fingers to that torture again.

Now, I know you're probably thinking "You're such a wimp, Nikki. It's just a freezer. It's not that cold." If you are thinking this, well, then you would be wrong. The walk in freezer is -23 degrees Celsius. And for some crazy reason, it's even kinda windy in there. (For those of you unfamiliar with the conversion, that's -9.4 degrees Fahrenheit.)

It's freakin' cold. It's worse than shoving your bare hands in a pile of snow for three minutes.

I think I got frostbite at work in the middle of April. Tomorrow all my fingers are going to fall off and I'll never be able to type a blog again.

End Blog. (Probably forever.)

No comments: