Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Job

My entire morning was spent editing and updating my case reports after they had been rejected by peer review. Which, I totally expected to happen because I didn’t have a whole lot of instruction on how to report results. I think that’s mostly going to be a trial and error thing since I don’t know all the usual ways the place does things.

Like, you can’t say that you sent something to DNA for further analysis. You have to state that it was sent to “the DNA section” for further analysis. Like I would know such a thing. So, most of my reports had to be slightly modified today before they could be approved for release. Not that there was anything wrong with what I had done, it was just regarding proper wording and sentence structure issues.

Can you imagine? Like I ever have issue with sentence structure. I mean, everything I write is always a complete sentence. Totally. All the time. Completely complete.

So, that was a good three hours of my day. I’m not sure how it could have possibly taken so long… but it did. Then I did some more casework and I have two more reports to write now. Hopefully they’ll be approved the first time. We shall see how that goes now that I know a few more of the rules.

Oh, and get this – they’re letting me work parts of a homicide. Isn’t that insanity? I’ve been there for a month and a half and they’re giving me evidence from a homicide.

People in DNA (oh, sorry, “the DNA section”) don’t touch actual casework for 9-12 months. People in the fingerprint section don’t touch casework for a full year. I, however, got thrown right onto a homicide. I mean… sure, I’ve had the training that I needed for it… but still…

It’s a little intimidating. But also really awesome. Turns out, I’m super happy I’m in trace and not fingerprints. Way to go, KCPD.

End Blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Putting you to work, at work?? It's just cause you happen to rock. They recognize talent when they see it, Dear.