Sunday, August 27, 2006

Seven Random Actresses

Guess who I saw on TV for the first time in ages while watching the Emmys tonight. That's right, Gillian Anderson! Who knew that she hadn't fallen off the face of the planet? Sadly, she's been doing these weird period pieces that I have absolutely no interest in. I hate watching people in big huge dresses and corsets. Anyway, she was nominated for Bleak House, this miniseries about the injustices of the 19th century English legal system. Bleck. Totally not watching that. Even the name sounds like it's something awful. Gilly, I miss you, but not that much. As a side note, I like your real hair color.

This also seems like a lovely time to bring up Mariska Hargitay. Now, I know this is hard to believe, but I don't watch any of the Law & Orders. I doubt I ever will. But from the few moments I've actually caught her on TV, I really like her. And I'm totally psyched that she beat out Kyra Sedgwick for outstanding lead actress in a drama series.

And speaking of actresses I can't stand…

I'm thinking about going to see The Black Dahlia when it comes out just so I can see Mia Kirshner in a role that I know I'll like her in: that of a corpse. I'm still wondering how Showtime let The L Word kill off their most endearing character while Jenny remains on the canvas. Man, I hate Jenny. Which, in turn, has soured me towards Mia Kirshner in general. (Much like Sedgwick. Anyone even know what else she's done?) But also, Hillary Swank is in that movie, and we know that everything she touches turns to gold. I mean, I even liked The Next Karate Kid. Did you see 11:14? Because you should. I love movies like that. (Okay, you're right. For a second there I forgot about The Core. So maybe not everything she touches…)

Oh, hey, speaking of Showtime series, I just started watching Weeds with Mary-Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins. From what I've seen so far, it's quality. I'll probably rent the second disc this week and finish the series, then look into acquiring season two as its aired – whenever that may be. I'll have to do some research on the matter. (Sweet! I just looked it up, the second season's just started, we're three episodes in.) It's a bummer that I don't have Showtime, but I'm already paying like 85 bucks for my cable and internet access, and I don't even watch TV as much as I used to.

I got side tracked… this was just going to be about the Emmys. Oh well… I guess that's what you get during these unplanned stream of consciousness posts.

(I swear I just heard the TV play a Wachovia commercial. Missouri doesn't have Wachovias! I might be going crazy. I hate not being able to see my TV the same time I'm typing. The set up in DC was so much better for multitasking.)

I need to stop typing or I might ramble forever.

End Blog.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Mwahahaha! You're lucky I wasn't drinking anything because it would have been all over my monitor.

And... ew. That wasn't really a picture I needed.

B Fuhr said...

Are you kidding me?

She's been in Secondhand Lions, Phenomenon, Something to Talk About, Murder in the First (with Kevin Bacon), Heart and Souls (with Robert Downey Jr.), and What's Cooking.. which both of you might enjoy watching.

Nikki said...

I've seen like half those movies. She must not leave a very good impression on me.