Monday, September 25, 2006

Transformers: Robots in Disguise

On Friday morning a transformer blew at work causing the power to go out. Now, for the lab, this is not a big deal because everything essential has a back up power source. So, we lost a few lights, but mostly everything was in working order. Well, that is until something happened to the exhaust on our generator.

At least, through the confusion, I think that's what the problem was. Although, as it turns out, two wires to something that looked sorta important also melted together after said important-looking-machine overheated. Really, I have no idea what happened. All I know is the power went out, there was a weird smell, the firemen showed up, I went to lunch, I came back… and we lost the rest of our power little by little, until I was able to go home.

That's right. I had a good weekend that started 2.5 hours earlier than it should have. I suppose that's one of the perks to working in a building without windows. When the power goes out, it's pitch black. Well, that and none of the microscopes or computers had power. But, there are still lots of things you can do without power.

Aaaaanyway… point of the story – I got to go home early Friday. Sadly, I would have still liked a longer weekend.

Although, today at work went well. There were some residual computer problems from things shutting down improperly, but most of the bugs were worked out by mid-morning. And I still haven't finished the case I've been working on since Friday. I kinda like these long cases were there's lots to look at.

Okay, I'll say it again… I really love my job.

End Blog.

No comments: