Monday, September 11, 2006

I'm a Genius!

Please read that headline again and note how it is just saturated and dripping with the most sarcasm you have ever heard in your entire life.

Now, let me tell you about my morning.

My hair was unruly because I showered last night and slept on it wet. After deciding I didn't have enough time to make it look normal, I pulled it into a ponytail and sat down at my computer. Because, if there's one thing I know for sure, it's that I can't leave my apartment in the morning without changing an away message and checking my email. It's a sickness, I know. I'm severely addicted to online life. I've come to terms with it. You should too.

This morning required that I reply to an email quickly and then I headed out of the door with two blockbuster videos I needed to drop off in the mail. On the way to the car I realized that, indeed, I hadn't left the house on Sunday like I thought I was going to, so in turn, I hadn't filled my gas tank. So, now I have mail and gas to take care of, which was probably going to be pushing the limits of arriving at work on time.

I briefly entertained the idea of not dropping off the mail, but decided that it really wasn't going to take me that much longer. So, I headed to the mailbox at the leasing office, parked my car, and ran to the box to toss them in. I've done this many times. I always park in the same spot and I always leave my car running. One thing I've never done, however, is somehow manage to lock my doors in the process.

I get back to my car, pull the handle, and stare at the door when it doesn't open. Locked? It's locked? How could it possibly be locked? I tried another door. And another. And another. Then I tried the back hatch just to be certain. All locked. I'm still not sure how it happened. I must have bumped the keyless entry pad sometime after entering the vehicle. Regardless… I was now stuck with locked running car and no keys to my apartment to get the spare for my car.

I had a dilemma on my hands. And to top it off, the car was running on fumes. The gas light was already on and the needle was on E. So, if I didn't somehow beat the clock, I was going to be stuck with a car that was out of gas as well. There was really no telling how much gas was left in there.

So, I called Daniel and asked if I could screw up his morning so he could bring me the spare key to my back door. And, sweetheart that he is, he agreed. In the meantime, I ran back to my apartment, on the weird off-chance that somehow my door was miraculously unlocked. I checked the main door. Locked. As I knew it should be because I locked it five minutes earlier. Then I checked the back door. And the knob turned and the door opened.

Thank goodness! I immediately called Dan and let him know he didn't have to come save my morning and then I got my spare key and left the way I came. And I ran all the way back to my car.

Now, you may be wondering the same thing that I am… why, exactly was my back door open? And how long do you think it's been this way? I hardly ever use that door. But, I didn't think ahead enough to find my other spare key and lock my back door while I was leaving, either. So, it was open all day. I felt a little bad about that, but I also realized that it could have been like that every day for the past month…

Anyway, I ran back to the car and went to the gas station. I was sweaty and my heart was pounding. I'm like, SO out of shape. I contemplated taking up the treadmill. I still think that might be a good idea. I also think I should hide random keys all over the fricken place.

So, I currently have 10 minutes to get to work. Realizing that's impossible, even if I had a flying car, I come to terms with being late. Sort of. I filled my tank (highlight of the day, gas was $2.29 a gallon – eat that DC!) and headed to work. I ran 4 yellow lights and arrived about 15 minutes late. I walked in at the same time as one of my coworkers. So, I guess it wasn't all bad.

Later at work, when I was resealing a bag of evidence, I forgot to put all of it back in the bag before closing it up. So, I had to open it again, in a new spot, and reseal the darn thing again.

I seriously think I may have misplaced my brain. If you find it, please send it home.

To make up for this morning fiasco, I took myself to Chipotle for lunch.

I've come to find that Chipotle makes just about everything better.

I think I'll go lock my back door. Although, the randomness that it was open this morning was such a time saver.

I hope that karma balanced out in the world and someone had a really remarkable day. And if the person having a bad day gets to determine who gets the good one, I had the perfect individual in mind this morning. So, I hope that worked out well for her.

End Blog.

No comments: