Wednesday, September 27, 2006

CSI: Liberty, MO

I got called out on scene last night at midnight. I hadn't been to bed yet, which means I ended up going out and working the scene until about 0720 hours, and then starting my normal work day. As it turns out, I'm pretty useless after I've been awake for 30 hours, so I decided to go home and get some sleep at lunchtime.

I'm happy for the work and the experience, but this was a sad situation. In this job I'm often reminded of how the world is not as great as I'd like it to be.


From the Kansas City Star:

Raymore man charged with killing Plattsburg woman found in trunk

Associated Press

Prosecutors have charged a Raymore man with the murder of a 22-year-old Plattsburg mother whose body was found in the trunk of a car in a Liberty hospital parking lot, law enforcement officials said Wednesday.

Joseph L. Hill, 20, is charged in Clinton County with second-degree murder and armed criminal action in the death of Heather J. Robbins, said Corey Sloan, a spokesman for the Northwest Missouri Major Investigation Squad.

Hill was being held on $1 million bond in the Cass County jail until he is transferred to Clinton County to face the charges, officials said. Authorities said there were no other suspects in the death.

Robbins' relatives reported about 6:15 p.m. Tuesday that she and her 9-month-old son were missing, Sloan said.

Three hours later, the Liberty Police Department received a tip that Robbins had been killed and her body was stashed in a car parked at Liberty Hospital, Sloan said. Shortly thereafter, officials found her body in the trunk of her 1997 white Mitsubishi in the hospital's east garage, authorities said.

Robbins was stabbed, officials said, but the cause of her death isn't yet known.

Authorities later found the infant with Hill in Cass County. Sloan said Hill is the child's father.

The baby, who was taken into state custody, is in good condition and state officials have not found any signs he was mistreated, Sloan said.

Robbins was not admitted for medical treatment at Liberty Hospital.

"From what I understand it was a crime that happened offsite somewhere and for some reason they chose to leave the body here," hospital spokeswoman Jennifer Benz said.

A spokesman for the Liberty Police Department said authorities were watching videotapes from the hospital's internal security system to find out when Robbins' body was left in the garage.


I'm part of the crew that found this body and pulled her out of the trunk. This news story is highly accurate. If I catch anything else that's printed, I'll be sure to post that as well.

End Blog.

No comments: