Sunday, August 24, 2008

Vice Presidential Nominee Biden

When I heard the nominee for the democratic vice president, I asked, "Does anyone know anything about him?" No one did. So, I asked Wikipedia. It knew a whole bunch.

After reading about him, I decided that he's a good guy because he pays my salary. No, not because I'm a public servant. You see, most of my salary is paid for with grant money received from the Violence Against Women Act. Senator Joe Biden wrote the law that made the money that pays my salary possible.

I read about his political positions on wiki as well and turned out to be alright with Obama's choice. However, here are the things that I read that bothered me:

He plagiarized a speech in his first attempt at becoming president during his campaign in 1988. When that happened, it came out that he also plagiarized something in law school. This leads me to believe that he's either lazy or stupid, and his ethical character is called into question.

He also lied about graduating in the top half of law school (he was 76th in a class of 85), that he had attended on a full scholarship, and had received three degrees. He actually had two majors, (History and Political Science) and a single Bachelor's degree, as well as a half scholarship based on financial need. So, he's a liar. But, so are all politicians, right?

He's also recently quoted as saying "If I could wave a wand, and the Lord said I could solve one problem, I would solve the energy crisis." Now, I'm not a religious person, but... really? I think he just equated God to magic.

Regardless of these things, I still found myself not hating him. He's from Scranton, Pennsylvania. He's been involved with many federal crime laws over the years, increasing the number of capital crimes, and voted for heavier punishments for hate crimes. He drafted VAWA which helped investigation and prosecution of violent crimes perpetrated against women over 14, and gave me a job. He also introduced the Reducing Americans' Vulnerability to Ecstasy Act (RAVE), which was an effort to stop the spread the drugs used in sexual assaults such as GHB, rohypnol, ecstasy and ketamine. He's pro-education, Roe v. Wade, and stem cell research. All of these things are close to my heart. So, I can't hate him.

So, the "old crusty white dude" (as Kathy Griffin put it) will probably bring more conservative voters to the polls because an african american dude and a woman on the same ticket would probably be suicide.

Although, Biden does have a reputation for saying really stupid things, so I guess Obama will just need to make sure he's kept under tight reign.

Can't wait to see what happens with McCain. And also, have you seen this? It's amazing - Hillary's in a campaign ad for the Republican as she tries to reunite her Democratic party.



Such drama. I wish they all had really awesomely edited reality shows.


End Blog.

No comments: