Friday, March 17, 2006

Redefining Room Temperature

The term room temperature is misleading. It does not mean “temperature of the room” as you think it would. It’s not one of those literal things, and it’s not an exact, precise measurement. In laboratory reports it’s taken to be roughly between 21–23 degrees Celsius (70–73 degrees Fahrenheit).

Frequently “room temperature” is used to describe something warming or cooling to the ambient temperature of the room. This is understood to be in a “comfortable living” range. Now, in the general population, we tend to believe that “room temperature” is somewhere between 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit (21–22 degrees Celsius)*. I’m likely to agree, although I do enjoy a somewhat warmer room.

However, I have found that “room temperature” doesn’t apply once I go to work. There I have two different things going on. I have “office temperature”, which I like to describe as “super cold” and I have “lab temperature” which is more like “frigid, arctic tundra”.

Today, the trace lab was 56 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius). I was in there looking at blood patterns all day. Sitting for 8 hours at 56 degrees is recipe for Nikki Popsicles.

In fact, here it is:

Nikki Popsicle: **
1. Place Nikki in a chair
2. Turn down temperature to 56 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Let sit for 8 hours
4. Serve cold

End Blog.

*Based on a very scientifically sound internet poll of people I know.
**Nikki prefers “Klondike Style” and asks that you not shove a stick up her ass.

No comments: