Sunday, March 05, 2006

Kansas City: Home of the Free

Free.

The word has many meanings: Not a prisoner, unrestricted, uncensored, self-ruled, not busy, unoccupied, single, unobstructed, giving readily, honest, uncontaminated, released from captivity, rid of burdens, unclogged…

Not Costing Anything.

So you’ve probably heard that there’s no such thing as a free lunch. And, as I’d come to learn living in the nation’s capital… no such thing as free… parking or laundry. You know, the sorts of things that we take for granted as not costing anything. But, to wash a load of clothes, I was paying $1.75 in quarters. And to dry a load of clothes I was paying $1.75 in quarters – Without the convenience of having a change machine provided for me. And, to park my car for 8 hours while I was at work, I was paying $8.00. But, I was lucky and it didn’t even have to be in quarters.

But, today, I remembered something. These things are free for mostly everyone and rightly should be.

Kansas City has free parking. Right there in the Plaza… all free. Not even a parking meter on the street. This is something I can stand behind. And today, in the comfort of my own apartment, I did two loads of laundry. And I didn’t have to put quarters in the machine.

Lo! I have found freedom! It name be Kansas City.


End Blog.

No comments: