Saturday, February 11, 2006

I Don’t Watch Sports

But I love sports movies.

There, I said it. Why? Because at the end, during the big final game where they’re struggling to win (but in the end always do) - I get goosebumps and have to hold back tears. I’m so proud of them, those fictional underdogs.

And this is why the Olympics rock. Maybe not so much the actual events, but the stories of struggle that show how people got to the most challenging, prestigious sports championship of their lives where they get to put their skills on the line against all the other people at the pinnacle of the sport from all over the world… that’s what I like. It’s like hundreds of mini sport movies played on TV for a few weeks.

Really, which sport doesn’t matter. I could care less. I’ll watch speed skating. I’ll watch downhill. I’ll watch bobsledding. I’ll watch curling. I’ll watch ice skating. I’ll even watch women’s ice hockey even though there’s no body checking.

I watched the biathlon. (It was on this morning.)

Okay, Now I have your attention. Now you understand.

I will watch whatever they put on. In 2004, I watched race walking. The whole race. At 4am.

I love the Olympics. And I will watch extra to make up for all the people who only like the Summer Games. Take that!

Single handedly, I, Nikki Blackwell, shall influence the Neilson ratings and watch NBC, USA, CNBC, and MSNBC any time they’re showing Olympic coverage.

And do you want to know why? Because the policy of some of those channels is that anytime the US is playing, there will be no commercial interruptions. Do you know how much hockey games rock without commercials?

I do.


End Blog.

No comments: