Monday, February 20, 2006

Bobsled or Bobsleigh?

Yes, I have very odd concerns. I’ve been talking about the bobsled event for several days. Okay, maybe not directly, but it’s been mentioned more than once in recent blogs. Everybody calls it bobsled. Bobsled bobsled bobsled. That's all you hear the commentators say.

And then I see it labeled on tv during the bobsled event. “Bobsleigh”.

What now?

Shouldn’t that be pronounced "bob-slay"? What the hell is up with that?

So, of course I had to look into it. The following is a public service announcement for all:

Bobsledding was invented in Albany, New York and then introduced to Switzerland. In the United States and Canada the sport is known as bobsled, everywhere else, bobsleigh.

So, living in the United States… I was right. Go me. And, considering that NBC is broadcasting to us here at home in America, they are wrong. They are titling the event as if I lived somewhere else (excluding Canada). They are wrong. Wrong wrong. Wrong.

I’m going to write a letter. Look for changes in 2010.

Oh, also, while we’re at it… Torino v. Turin. Dude, just pick one. At this point I don’t even care which one, although, if you’re really asking, Torino sounds prettier and Turin makes me think of the relic those insane religious folk actually think was Jesus’ burial shroud. And it sounds like urine. Okay, I do care.

Just stop using Turin already!

Things I’ve outlawed from the stations controlled by NBC: Bobsleigh and Turin.

I’ll keep you updated should there be more rules in the future. That is all.

End Blog.

No comments: