Sunday, February 19, 2006

Blog About Us, Too!

Okay, so I got a call from the US Women’s Curling team asking that I please comment on them, or their sport, and to be my witty, wonderful self. So, I watched the curling team do their thing today, with the hog line and the hammer and the rocks in the wheel house and peeling of the guards during a spiel. Or something. I’m nearly certain they speak a different language.

Not only do I not really understand all there is about this sport, but it’s very boring. It’s also something I think I could do, especially if there aren’t rules against like… shoving the rock down the ice and trying to hit as many of those things as possible. That would be more fun. There are probably rules against that.

Now I understand why they wanted me to bring attention to their sport. Because most people watching fall into a coma. I saw a few people in the stands with ventilators and heart monitors and IV lines. The team travels with a staff of doctors and nurses specifically for their fan base.

But you know the hardest thing for them? Being in the Olympic village with all those other thrill-seeking luge and skeleton and downhill skiing adrenaline junkies when they’re just so vanilla. So, to fit in – and under the ruse of raising money and bringing attention to the sport – some of international curlers have made a calendar where they’ve posed nude.

So, I can’t complain. Maybe all curlers have a uniquely wild side that’s usually hidden. And although sisters Jamie and Cassie Johnson of the US team weren’t part of the photo shoot, I suggest the organizers find out if they’re interested for the next calendar year. Because they’re both rather hot. They could be in a nudie, tastefully done calendar.


In other completely unrelated Olympic news...

Why does the bobsled race look so much slower than the luge or skeleton? They're still going over 80mph, but they look to be traveling at about 30. Damn you crazy maniacs! You've ruined watching bobsled forever!


End Blog.

PS - I'm not dead. The ticking was my cordless phone that was unplugged and packed away in a box. Apparently it ticks when it's unhappily losing its charge. Or it ticks when it's in a box. I have a claustrophobic phone. It figures.

1 comment:

Sugar V. said...

Hi Nikki,
I've been reading your blog for sometime now and I had to let you know how much it brightens my day and makes me smile. I think you have a great sense of humour and it comes across so nicely in the way you write. I've been watching the Olympics too and laughed out loud when I read about the curlers. Maybe they all got tatoos to fit in better. Anyway I've finally figured out how to add links to my page and ahve added yours and hope to send more people your way. I'm at http://automaticstatic.blogspot.com so come and take a look if you like.
Best Regards,
sugarv