Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Driving in Ice and Snow: A How To

Obviously I have a good father. I know this because I had a lecture on how to drive in ice and snow. Actually, I probably had several. Eventually I rolled my eyes and tuned them out. But everyone should have that at some point in their lives so they don't end up like the drivers I saw on the road today.

People don't know how to drive in ice and snow. Although, I'm not really happy about their driving in the rain either, so I didn't really expect much from them.

Therefore, I've come up with several tips for everyone on how to drive in the hazardous weather conditions today:

1. The faster you drive, the more friction and heat your quickly rotating tires are forming with the pavement. Heat melts ice. So, the faster you drive, the less chance you have of ice under your tires. Simple physics, really. Aren't all the well traveled highways always better than unused side streets? I rest my case.

2. Stop as quickly as possible. This also creates heat on the pavement, melting ice directly beneath your tires. People who take their time stopping have a much greater chance of sliding or skidding as they do so. Not only are they producing less heat, they're giving the ice a greater chance to get them. Stopping fast prevents this.

3. If you are already moving and come to a side street that looks to have a considerable amount of snow on it, don’t worry! Your car is large and will be able to drive through that snow without any trouble at all. After all, it’s only frozen water. No big deal.

4. It's been said that you shouldn’t drive at all in blizzard conditions or "snow emergencies", but that’s actually the best time to drive anywhere because no one else is on the road. Finally! All those other people won't be in your way. The officials are just trying to scare you off the roads so they can have them all to themselves.

If you follow these rules, you shouldn't ever find yourself out of control in your vehicle, regardless of rear/front/four wheel drive. But, should you forget them and start skidding, sit back and enjoy the ride as if you are in an amusement park. It's likely one of the biggest thrills you'll have and you didn't even have to pay for it!

I hope that you find these tips useful. Stay safe out there.

Remember, always use your seat belt.

End Blog.

(Disclaimer: The author of this post is not responsible for you or anything that happens to you. In fact, should you try to sue her, she will counter with a lawsuit of her own based on your complete lack of understanding of sarcasm. Also, please note, these are not words of wisdom from the author's father, as she has previously stated she tunes him out regularly.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your disclaimer. Only an adult would think to include one though, so I think you're more mature than you think.