Tuesday, July 01, 2008

From the Brilliant Mind of Joss

Oh, my. I am having a moment. A moment where I can't think of words to describe how truly awesome this thing I've stumbled upon will be. Neil Patrick Harris as a mad scientist super villain. Nathan Fillion as his archenemy superhero. With singing!



Did you notice that it was approved for all audiences by the Motion Pictures Association of "My House"? I love him.

"Once More With Feeling" was simply my favorite Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode. You may remember that I blogged about going to a sing-along in a theater nearby last year. It was brilliant. And I believe, because it's coming from Joss Whedon, that Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog will be brilliant, too.

I am excited.

Here's the scoop, pulled directly from the site:
ONE WEEK ONLY! AN INTERNET MINISERIES EVENT!

"Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog" will be streamed, LIVE (that part’s not true), FREE (sadly, that part is) right on Drhorrible.com, in mid-July. Specifically:

ACT ONE (Wheee!) will go up Tuesday July 15th.

ACT TWO (OMG!) will go up Thursday July 17th.

ACT THREE (Denouement!) will go up Saturday July 19th.

All acts will stay up until midnight Sunday July 20th. Then they will vanish into the night, like a phantom (but not THE Phantom – that’s still playing. Like, everywhere.)

Mark your calenders!!

And if you're wondering how and why this came about, it is explained as follows:

Why, Joss? Why? Why now, why free, why us?

Once upon a time, all the writers in the forest got very mad with the Forest Kings and declared a work-stoppage. The forest creatures were all sad; the mushrooms did not dance, the elderberries gave no juice for the festival wines, and the Teamsters were kinda pissed. (They were very polite about it, though.) During this work-stoppage, many writers tried to form partnerships for outside funding to create new work that circumvented the Forest King system.

Frustrated with the lack of movement on that front, I finally decided to do something very ambitious, very exciting, very mid-life-crisisy. Aided only by everyone I had worked with, was related to or had ever met, I single-handedly created this unique little epic. A supervillain musical, of which, as we all know, there are far too few.

The idea was to make it on the fly, on the cheap – but to make it. To turn out a really thrilling, professionalish piece of entertainment specifically for the internet. To show how much could be done with very little. To show the world there is another way. To give the public (and in particular you guys) something for all your support and patience. And to make a lot of silly jokes. Actually, that sentence probably should have come first.

So, to you I say, support this. It is the most fantastic thing that could be done for fans, for writers, for creativity's sake, and most of all - against Hollywood. Maybe this will send a message that we don't need sequels or trilogies. What we want is original entertainment... and maybe then you'll see us back at the movie theaters in droves.

(But only on Monday through Thursday when it only costs five dollars at any time of the day.)


End Blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHA!! I KNEW I KNEW THAT GIRL FROM SOMEWHERE! The red-headed girl! She was in Warm Springs with Kenneth Brannagh and Cynthia Nixon! And she sang in it too! She sang I Won't Dance, which is a favorite of mine that sadly no one on youtube thought to upload. Here's the Mel Gibson version from What Women Want anyways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xHqRyiKWAo&feature=related

Trust me though, she has a great soprano voice. I'm so psyched for this!!

B Fuhr said...

As well as Buffy... she was Vi, the bestest potential (this side of Kennedy).

::pushes glasses up a bit higher::

Herein ends my nerdiness.