Monday, April 06, 2009

Maybe I Should Have Named Her Bronco

I took the puppy to the vet today because she's been doing this weird periodic cough thing. Sometimes right when I come home from work, sometimes when she runs around a lot, and like, all the time when she pulls when on her leash there's the little gagging cough.

The doctor diagnosed her with tracheobronchitis which is basically kennel cough. Awesome. She got some pills and he said she'd be feeling better in 3-5 days and it was good I bought her in because it wasn't deep in her lungs yet and she didn't have pneumonia. She got her temperature taken (which she really did not care for as it was rectally) and a rabies shot and some flea and tick meds and a delicious heartworm chewy.

This dog doesn't seem sick at all. The pamphlet they gave me said to limit her exercise, but that's damn near impossible. She's so crazy. So, I'm not following that recommendation because the only way to do it would be to drug her with some alcohol or something.

Anyway, the doc said that it's not uncommon with the weather being how it is and he's seen a lot of it. Although, he didn't seem to worried about Remy catching it, so I guess that's good. I'm just to keep an eye on them both.

Meanwhile, she's due for more shots for distemper and the like on the 15th and Remy is going to get some shots and a heartworm test and I'm getting them to trim her toenails at the same time too. So, she'll probably hate me... more. The next trip will be pricey, so luckily they didn't charge me for an office visit today - just the meds which were only $14.00. The best part about it is that River totally just ate the pill all by itself. Let's see how long that lasts...

I leave you with the River picture of the day. This is where she decided to go after the doctor took her temp and gave her a shot - under a countertop in a cubbyhole where they keep the trash. Seems about right... poor girl. Here's to a speedy recovery!



End Blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor River!! My Sibe has had kennel cough 2-3 times since we have had her - our other 2 dogs have the vaccine, so they have been good, but my poor Tasha gets it and it seems to last forever. She would be playing and being her usual crazy-Sibe self, and all of a sudden she would be coughing and sneezing and looking at me with this very pathetic expression in her big blue eyes.

hope River is feeling better soon!!

-Krisana