Friday, December 17, 2010

30 Days of TV: Day 03 - Favorite New Show

Your favorite new show that started in the year 2010: Rizzoli and Isles



I think that I've watched exactly five new shows in 2010:
Raising Hope
No Ordinary Family
Mike & Molly
Outsourced
Rizzoli and Isles

Out of those five, Rizzoli and Isles definitely wins, even though they don't always get their forensic information exactly right. I can't really blame them too much though, hardly any procedural shows do.

I know, you're about to say that I'm about as one note as they come. Yet another strong female led show. And I can't even refute it. It's true, there are two very strong female characters in this show. It's also true that it's one of the reasons that I like it. I agree with you, I am the most boring and predictable tv watcher in all of history.

But, really, this one is kinda in my wheelhouse, so you have to just give it to me. Procedural crime drama. Cops. Medical examiners. Forensic investigations. A show where I can act superior and tell you all the things they're doing wrong. Why wouldn't I watch this?

Surprisingly, there were not that many things to complain about, either because they weren't doing that many things wrong, or because the story line was compelling enough that I didn't feel the need to complain. (More on this when we get to Dexter.)

Plot lines were decent, the chemistry between the female leads is unmistakable (and very lesbian subtexty, even though the characters are straight), and who doesn't adore Rizzoli's entire, very Italian, family?

Isles has a pet tortoise. She's the medical examiner, is eccentric, and very Temperance Brennan-esque (from Bones). Rizzoli is a tough cop in an all boys club. Her partner, Frost, is a little green and seems to vomit every time there is a dead body nearby.

I won't tell you it's a fantastic show that will stand the test of time, but of all the new shows I've watched this year, I've enjoyed it the most. It ran for a short ten episodes and is now over, but has been picked up for a season two. In all likelihood, I'll continue to watch.

Second runner up in this category is definitely Raising Hope. Although, I could totally do without all the baby parts and that makes the title kind of pointless...

Here's what my friends think:
Brenda
Dany
Jessie
Beth

End Blog.

1 comment:

Bren said...

I really thought you'd dislike this show. Although it's not quite like CSI: Miami where all you can talk about is the pretty lighting.