Saturday, April 28, 2007

Super Nik!

I totally caused a police car chase to turn into a police foot chase on Thursday. I am a superhero.

I was leaving work and pulling out into traffic on Troost. There was a bus that was close by and then a few cars waaaaaay up at the top of the hill. I waited for the bus and then pulled out because I didn't realize there was this car that was driving at like 80mph on a road where you should only be doing 35 (so I thought I had a lot of time to pull out). Anyway, long story short - I did not.

I heard tires screeching before I saw the car behind me in my rear view mirror, which swerved left to pass, lost control of the car, spun out, and ended in front of me, almost facing the wrong direction. Then it pulled up onto the grass/sidewalk of the building next to work and a dude got out of the passenger seat. I thought he was coming after me to kill me. He got out before the car stopped and slipped and fell on the wet grass. (Which is funny now, but not at the time.)

And then the dude in the driver's seat got out. And I was scared to death, thinking, "I am so dead. Right here. I'm going to die right in front of work." Fear of death imminent, I froze, unable to think far enough in advance to DRIVE AWAY from these crazy road-rage-filled men.

And then the weirdest thing happened. I heard sirens behind me... and these two dudes RAN AWAY. (And uphill... dumb. And in the same direction. Dumb.) Three police cruisers came up, and an officer jumped out of his car and ran after them, and then the police cruisers drove off, following them the best they could.

And I think, had it not been for me pulling out of my work parking lot, the car chase would have continued.

I watched the news all night but nothing about it came on. The next day at work, I asked around. Apparently the driver was stopped on 71 highway for some sort of violation and when they found out who he was, they discovered five warrants for aggravated assault. FIVE! So, knowing he was about to be arrested, he took off, police chase ensuing.

So, Superhero that I am, I stopped the car chase and made them flee on foot. The driver was arrested in my work parking lot. Apparently he ran up around the block and must have jumped the fence to our back parking lot. He was standing around talking on his cell phone, like he belonged there. Good thing we knew he did not. He was arrested and is currently in jail on $8,000 bond.

I mean, talk about stupid criminals! He was standing on police property!

No word on the passenger - who he is, why he ran... All I know is he was wearing jeans and a red and white horizontal striped shirt, a red baseball hat, and is kinda clumbsy...

Anyway, the good news is that they didn't hit my car. (Whew! I mean, it was really, really, really, close!) I never saw the car coming AT ALL. Or I had absolutely no idea it was going that fast.

The bad news is that I thought I might die and seriously needed to calm down my heart rate after witnessing all of this.

It's not easy being a superhero crime fighter.


End Blog.

No comments: